It’s been a long day and you are frazzled, again. Reaching for the tv remote and quart of ice cream, again. With each spoonful the anxiety builds, it’s always something. Bills are due, clothes don’t fit, your lover isn’t responding to your texts….the list can go on.
Let’s face it, the ice cream, zoning out on Facebook or Netflix isn’t helping. You’re stuck in a pattern, actually experiencing a trance state. This pattern can easily turn into a habit and, before you know it, it’s your daily routine.
Changing your state (state of mind) is the only way to get yourself up and off the couch once the undesired pattern becomes a habit. Working with a professional coach is usually the quickest way to creating new behaviors, however self hypnosis is an excellent tool! Here are 7 easy steps to use self hypnosis for state change and relief!
- Find a quiet place to SIT and relax. Dim the lights. Many people love to light a candle or incense.
- Surround yourself with gentle, pleasant music, white noise or a portable fountain to sooth and relax.
- Wearing comfortable clothing and prop yourself up with pillows, use a blanket, however you are most comfortable in a SEATE position.
- Closing your eyes, take 4 deep breaths: IN through your NOSE, EXHALE through your MOUTH. Thinking or saying CALM on the inhale and SAFE on the exhale often enhances the relaxation.
- Repeat to yourself: I AM LIGHT, I AM COMFORTABLE, I AM AT EASE WITH MYSELF. I AM RELAXED, HAPPY AND SAFE. I AM LIGHT, I AM COMFORTABLE, I AM SAFE. Repeat until you feel your body relax.
- Visualize or imagine that there is a movie playing on a big screen in your mind. You see your life just as you want it to be. Zoom in on the screen, notice every detail, every color, smell, the temperature on your skin. Step inside your ideal life, see yourself and your life just as you want it to be.
- Feeling immersed in your ‘movie’, repeat the deep breathing from Step 4, 2-3 times. Now, visualize or imagine a warm bright light, it’s a safe and comforting light, enveloping you. The light surrounds you like a warm hug from the top of your head to the bottoms of your feet. Enjoy the feeling of safety and satisfaction.
- When you are ready, gently stretch and open your eyes, feeling calm, safe and refreshed.
As with any skill, this takes practice. Self hypnosis is a wonderful tool to help you visualize your desired end result. You can’t hit a target that you don’t set, seeing your goal, feeling it with emotion, focusing on the sights, sounds and feelings of your wish fulfilled will help you take steps in your daily life to guide you there in reality!
If you have any questions, or would like a session, please call/text or email! 310-927-1305 I offer sessions in person, via Skype, or phone.
Bobbi Sizemore, C.Ht.